In honour of Cyber Security Awareness month we wanted to share some tips on how to stay safe when using the ‘cloud’. In its simplest form, the cloud is used to house information, documents, etc. on the internet. iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive are examples of storage sites that let you save and share your materials through the cloud.
While it is great technology that can help us stay de-cluttered and organized, it’s important to take precautions.
Check out these tips below to keep your information safe when in the clouds:
- Use strong, unique passwords on your accounts. Change your password if you see it on this list of the 500 most common passwords.
- Avoid letting your browser save your passwords.
- Ensure website URLs contain HTTPS when accessing personal information over public Wi-Fi networks.
- Install apps from official app stores.
- Read permission requests before installing apps to ensure the information they’re accessing is appropriate.
- Always log out of sites completely when you’re finished.
- Install the latest app and operating system updates for your device.
- Enable password locks on your device. Check out how to enable passwords for your iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.
- Don’t upload information to the cloud if you want to keep it private.
To learn more about how to stay safe when staying connected check out http://techessentials.rogers.com/. Tell us, what steps are you taking to stay cloud safe?